- 1 DATE OF BIRTH
- 2 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
- 3 FELLOWSHIPS
- 4 DOCTORAL RESEARCH
- 5 EMPLOYMENT DETAILS
- 6 TRAININGS
- 7 SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
- 8 REFRESHER COURSES ATTENDED
- 9 PUBLICATIONS
- 10 PROJECTS/DISSERTATIONS SUPERVISED
- 11 VISITING/GUEST FACULTY
- 12 ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER RESPONSIBLITIES
- 13 DATABASES CREATED AND MAINTAINED
- 14 Contact
DATE OF BIRTH
'7TH NOVEMBER 1970'
MPhil Library & Information Science Sambalpur University 2005 MLIScLibrary & Information Science Sambalpur University 2004 BLISc Library & Information Science Sambalpur University 1994 M.A. Economics Sambalpur University 1992 +3 Arts (Hons) Economics Sambalpur University 1989 +2 Arts Econ, Pol. Sc., Logic CHSE, Orissa 1986 BSE,Orissa 1984
Qualified for Junior Research Fellowship and National Eligibility Test in Library & Information Science conducted by University Grants Commission in 1998.
Doctoral Thesis on the topic âUse of Information Technology in the Libraries of IIMs and IITs in India: A Comparative Studyâ under Dr. K. C. Panda, Reader of the Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University has been submitted on 30th June 2008.
Started his professional career as a Trainee in Librarianship and Documentation (TLD) at Centre for Environment Education, Ahmedabad (1997-98); Worked as a Trainee at Indian Institute of Management, Indore (1998-99) and as Professional Asst. at Indian Institute of Management, Indore (1999-2001). In the mean while he worked as a Lecturer in the Department of Library & Information Science, Bundelkhand University for a few days. He has been working as a Lecturer in the Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University since 2001.
1. Short-term Training on âCDS/ISISâ from INSDOC, New Delhi during 5/3/95 to 10/3/95
2. Trainee in Librarianship & Documentation from CEE, Ahmedabad during 1/10/97 to 31/04/98
3. Training Programme on Effective Presentation from AMA, Ahmedabad during 02-07, February 1998.
1. âNational Seminar on Recent Trends in Library & Information Scienceâ jointly organized by IATLIS and Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University, 25-26 December 2001.
2. âXIX IATLIS National Seminar on Manpower development for information management in competitive environmentâ organized by IATLIS and Department of Library & Information Science, Utkal University, 1-3 December 2002.
3. âRegional Workshop on Problems and prospects of library automation in the college libraries of Orissaâ, organized by the Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University as Resource Person and delivered a talk on âSelection of software for library automationâ.
4. âSIS: 2005: 23rd Annual Convention and conference on Delivery of information services through distributed digital environmentâ, 27-29 January 2005 at Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
5. âWorkshop on âGreenstone Digital Library Softwareâ organized by the Department of Library & Information Science, during 22-24 March, 2004 as a Resource Person and Coordinator.
6. â3rd Workshop on usage of emailâ organized by ADINET, Ahmedabad, 17-18 December 1997.
7. â5th Internet Workshopâ organized by ADINET, Ahmedabad on 19th December 1997.
8. U.G.C Sponsored National level Workshop on Design and Development of Digital Libraries, organized by Department of Library & Information Science, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 9-13 October 2006.
9. UGC-DRS-SAP sponsored National Seminar on âLibrarianship in the Digital Eraâ, 29-30 November 2006 at Sambalpur University. Acted as Organizing Secretary of the Seminar.
REFRESHER COURSES ATTENDED
1. âUGC Refresher Course on Information Technology for librariansâ, conducted by Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai during 6-26 September
2. âUGC Refresher Course on âApplication of information technology for the management of Library and Information Centresâ conducted by Academic Staff College and the Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University, 6-26 January 2006 and obtained âAâ Grade.
1. âCopyright Law in Electronic Ageâ by K. C. Panda, P. Padhi and B. Maharana. In Access to Electronic Information. Ed by M. Mahapatra & others. Proceedings of SIS-1997, National Conference Proceedings, 29-31 January 1997, p. 400-402.
2. âRevitalizing academic libraries through Business Process Reengineeringâ by B. Maharana & K. C. Panda. University News. 38 (46), 13th November 2000, p. 11-13.
3. âPreservation of digital information in libraries: Issues and strategiesâ by B. Maharana & K. C. Panda. InCreation and management of digital resources. Ed by M K R Naidu and others. Proceedings of CALIBER-2001 National Conference, 15-16 March 2001, INFLIBNET, Ahmedabad, p. 130-136.
4. âPlanning Business Process Reengineering (BPR) in academic librariesâ by B. Maharana & K. C. Panda. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science. 6 (1), July 2001, p. 105-111 (Available online at http://www.202.107.20/journal). (International Journal)
5. âPerformance evaluation of library and information professionalsâ by B. Maharana and K. C. Panda. University News. 39 (42), 15-21 October 2001, p. 5-8.
6. âPerformance evaluation of library and information professionals: A tool for human resource management in academic librariesâ by B. Maharana and K. C. Panda. IASLIC Bull. 46 (4), 2001, p. 197-201.
7. âE-learning: a tool for revitalizing LIS education and professionâ by B. Maharana and B. K. Choudhury. In Manpower development for information management in competitive environmentâ. Ed by N. Laxman Rao and others. Seminar papers of XIX IATLIS National Seminar, Utkal University. 1-3 December, 2002, p. 255-264.
8. State of education for digital libraries: a study of the curriculum of selected LIS schools in USAâ by B. Maharana and K. C. Panda. Manpower development for information management in competitive environmentâ. Ed by N. Laxman Rao and others. Seminar papers of XIX IATLIS National Seminar, Utkal University. 1-3 December, 2002, p.
9. âMarketing of information products and services in digital era: an approach to improve service qualityâ by M. Nagender Rao and B. Maharana. In Proceedings of the National Seminar on âChallenges in delivering service quality in management and technical libraries, 25-26 April 2003, TA Pai Management Institute, Manipal, 2003.
10. âDatabase of High Yielding Varieties (HYV) of rice in Orissa: An observationâ by B. Maharana & A. Dikhiti . In Agricultural Information resources and services in a digital and networked environment.Ed by N. G. Naidu and others. National Seminar papers, 8-9 February, Tirupati, 2003, p. 74-83.
11. âAdvertising and marketing of public library products and services in a digital environmentâ B. Maharana and M. Nagender Rao. In Proceedings of National Seminar on âNew public library in the information ageâ. Ed by B. Ramesh Babu & others, 12-13 June 2003.
12. âConsumption of infotainment services from Cable TV (CTV): A Survey of Sambalpur Municipal townâ by B. Maharana and others. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol 2, 2003, p. 66-70.
13. âSocial Science resources on the web: A case study of SOSIG websiteâ bv B. Maharana & K. C. Panda. Annals of Library & Information Studies. 50 (3), 2003, p. 124-129. (This paper has been included as a Course Reading for âCourse No-L625: Information in the Social Sciencesâ of School of Library and Information Science, Indian University, Bloomington, USA for the Session Spring-2006.) Ref: URL: http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/meho/L625/spring2006/syllabus.html. [Viewed on 17/08/2006]
14. Preservation management of digital information in LICs: An overviewâ by B. Maharana and B. K. Choudhury. In Information, Communication, Libraries and Community. Ed by B. Ramesh Babu and Gopal Krishnan. B. R. Publishing Corp. New Delhi. V.2, p. 597-608.
15. âCopyright in the age of digital information: Issues and implicationsâ by B. Maharana & others. Excellence: The Journal of Management (Special issue on Intellectual Property Right). V.1, March 2004, p. 136-147.
16. âCollection Development of electronic information resources in the R&D libraries of Kolkata city: A surveyâ by B. Maharana, B. K. Choudhury & S. Dutta. Library Herald. 42 (3), September 2004. p, 235-246.
17. âOpen Archive Initiative (OAI): An overviewâ by B. Maharana and others. In Delivery of information services through distributed digital environment. Papers presented at the SIS-2005: 23rd Annual Convention and Conference, 27-29 January 2005, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Ed by C. Sasikala and others, p. 606-617.
18. âInstitutional E-print repositories for scholarly communication: Issues and implicarionsâ by B. Maharana & others. In Multi-lingual computing and information management in networked digital environment. Proceedings of 3rd International CALIBER 2005. 2-4, February 2005, Ed by TAV Murthy and others, p. 580-588. (International Conference Proceedings)
19. âVirtual reference service in academic libraries: its building and implementationâ by B. Maharana and M. Patel. In LIS profession in India: vision for 2010: XXV All India Conference of IASLIC, 26-29 December 2005, IIT Madras, Chennai. Ed by A. Chatterjee and others. IASLIC, 2005, p. 47-50.
20. âOpen Access Initiative for greater access to scholarly information on the webâ by S. Sahu and B. Maharana. In National Conderence on Digital libraries from technology to culture, 7 January 2006. Sardar Vallabhai Patel Institute of Textile Management, Coimbatore.
21. âDigital; Information Literacy and the role of Libraries: A Survey of M. Phil and Ph.D Scholars of Science Faculties of Sambalpur University. By B. Maharana and S. Mishra. In Initiatives in Libraries and Information Centres in the Digital Era. (Proceedings of SALIS-2006: National Conference, 8-10 June, 2006, Karunya Deemed University, Coimbatore). Ed by Harish Chandra and others. Chennai, SALIS, 2006; p. 85-91.
22. âE-Journal and E-Database Products and Services of ScienceDirect: An Explorationâ. By B. Maharana and R. Mahanty. In Initiatives in Libraries and Information Centres in the Digital Era. (Proceedings of SALIS-2006: National Conference, 8-10 June, 2006, Karunya Deemed University, Coimbatore). Ed by Harish Chandra and others. Chennai, SALIS, 2006; p. 85-91.
23. âMailing List for Information Professionals in India: A Survey of Yahoo Groups in Library and Information Scienceâ. By Bulu Maharana, P. K. Mallick and N. K. Sahu. In Proceedings of National Conferences Information Management in Digital Libraries (NCIMDiL-2006), 2-4 August, 2006. IIT Kharagpur. Ed by S. Bandopadyaya and others. P. 609-612.
24. Scholarly use of Web resources in LIS research: A citation analysis. Library Review. 55 (9), October 2006; p. 598-607. (Emerald: International Journal)
25. Thirty Years of LIS Education in Orissa: A Critical Evaluation. In Proceedings of UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Quality Assessment and Quality Indicators for LIS Education. Nagpur, 10-12 November 2006. P. 11-15.
Sl No. Name of the Scholar Title of the Dissertation Year 1. Malay K. Biswal Exploration of electronic information resources in Business Management 2002 2. Hemant K. Biswal OPAC Modules of various library automation packages: A study of their design and development 2002 3. Ranjan K. Barik Consortia building and electronic licensing for reengineering academic and research libraries in India: A case study of e-subscription initiatives of UGC-INFONET e-journal consortium. 2003 4. Abhay K. Sahu Search engines for world wide web: A comparative study of major Indian search engines. 2003 5. Syamashree Dutta Collection development and management of electronic information resources: A case study of policies, practices and procedures adopted by the R&D libraries of Kolkata city. (Research Paper Published) 2003 5. Babita Pattnaik The role of e-print archives (OAI compliant) in access to and dissemination of scholarly gray literature: A case study of selected institutional archives of India, Australia and UK. 2004 6. Smrutirekha Dash Creation and maintenance of institutional repositories using Dspace: A study of Indian Initiatives. 2006 7. Champeswar Mishra Digital Information Literacy at higher education level: A study of the faculty of Sambalpur University. 2006 8. Ajaya Kumar Satpathy Electronic theses and dissertations: a proposed plan for Sambalpur University. 2006
Sl No. Name of the Scholar Title of the Dissertation Year 1. Somendra Nayak Consumption of infotainment services from cable TV by the inhabitants of Sambalpur Municipal Town: A Survey (Research Paper Published) 2002 2. Anupam Dikhiti Database of High Yielding Varieties (HYV) of rice in Orissa: Its design and analytical observation. (Research Paper Published) 2002 3. Shakti Prakash Purohit Know your doctor: A Community Information Directory of VSS Medical College, Burla 2002 4. Mousumi Priyadarshini Pradhan Application of Business Process Reengineering (BPR) Techniques for revitalization of University Libraries: A Modular Approach to Prof. B. Behera Central Library. 2003 5. Smrutirekha Dash Discovery of Web Resources on Digital Library: An Webliography 2003 6. Babita Pattnaik Personalization of web resources in Life Sciences: A Case study of the faculty of School of Life Sciences, Sambalpur University 2003 7. Birendra Kumar Pradhan Gangadhar Meher: A CD-ROM in Oriya 2003 8. Sasmita Behera Public Health Informatics and the web: A study of Indian initiatives 2004 9. Ramakant Sahu Building Electronic Theses and Dissertations of Prof. B. Behera Central Library, Sambalpur University using Greenstone Digital Library Software 2004 10. Annapurna Sa Evaluation of Library websites of top ten business schools in India 2004 11. Santosh Munda Status of LIS education in Orissa: A critical evaluation 2004 12. Lingaraj Dash Open Access Initiative for scholarly communication: A case study of Indian initiatives. (Research Paper Published) 2004 13. Suprabha Rath Library Automation: A model for seminar library, P. G. Department of Library & Information Science using Library Manager software 2005 14. Mallikkarjun Dora Building a digital collection of open access journals using Greenstone Digital Library Software: An experiment with DOAJ 2005 15. Rebati Sahu Exploration of scholarly resources on the web in mathematics with special reference to e-print archives: A study 2005 16. Kalpana Nayak Citing web resources for research productivity: a citation analysis of papers presented at SIS-2005 conference. (Research Paper Communicated) 2005 17. Madhusmita Patel Planning, Designing and implementation of virtual reference service (VRS) in academic libraries: a case study of IITs and IIMs. (Research Paper Communicated) 2005 18. Sasmita Mahapatra Information Retrieval from the Web through Search Engines: An Exploration of Google with special reference to âGoogle Scholarâ. (Research Paper Communicated) 2006 19. Jayanti Mnda Database of M. Phil Dissertations (1982-2005) of the School of Life Sciences, Sambalpur University using CDS/ISIS Package. 2006 20. Sangeeta Mishra Digital Information Literacy and the Role of Libraries: A Survey of M. Phil and Ph.D Scholars of Science Faculties of Sambalpur University (Research Paper Published) 2006 21. Sangita Sahu Creation of a Prototype of Digital Library of Open Access Journals in Library and Information Science using GSDL Software. 2006 22. Raj Kumar Mahapatra Digitization of Manuscripts of Dr. N. K. Sahu Museum of Sambalpur University: A Draft Proposal 2006
Visited following Universities/Institutions to deliver lectures at BLISc and MLISc level: Â§ Department of Library and Information Science, Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur Â§ Department of Library and Information Science, North Orissa University, Baripada, Orissa Â§ College of Library & Information Science, SMIT, Berhampur University, Berhampur
ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER RESPONSIBLITIES
1. Appointed as the Programme Coordinator for P. G. Diploma in Mass Communication and Journalism (DE) of Sambalpur University during 2003-04 Session. 2. Appointed as Programme Coordinator for P. G. diploma in Library Automation and Networking (PGDLAN) (DE) of Sambalpur University for the period 2006-07 and 2007-08. 3. Programme Officer, N.S.S, since 2003-04 and conducted several Inter-College Camps, Summer Special Camps, and One-day camps, World Environment Day, International Womensâ Day, etc.\ 4. Member, University level NSS Advisory Committee for Sambalpur University. 5. Member of Board of Studies and Member of Conducting Board for Library & Information Science of Sambalpur University and North Orissa University. 6. Member of UGC-DRS Advisory Committee of P. G. Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University. 7. Assistant Teacher-in-Charge, Semester Examinations of the Department of Library & Information Science, Sambalpur University. 8. Coordinator, Library Automation Committee of Prof. B. Behera Central Library, Sambalpur University. 9. Appointed as Subject Expert for selection of Graduate Librarian at Kuchinda College (affiliated to Sambalpur University) on 31/07/2002.
DATABASES CREATED AND MAINTAINED
1. Created a Database of PhD Theses submitted to Sambalpur University and maintain it. It contains 475 records as yet. 2. Created a Database of M.Phil Theses of Science Faculties of Sambalpur University.