|LISWiki will be closing, due to lack of participation, on July 1, 2019.|
Federated searching products allow simultaneous searching of multiple collections and resources through a single interface.
The software packages often rely on z39.50 connections, XML gateways, SR/W to search for information, then merge, de-duplicate, sort and rank results.
Fans of federated searching point to their timesaving metasearch capabilities, while critics warn that dumbing down the search interfaces can sacrifice quality.
- (Meta)search Like Google from Library Journal, 2/15/07
- ODP category for federated searching
- LISNews article on federated searching
- Falling Down the Portal: Adventures in Federated Metasearch Technology at California State University Northridge PowerPoint slides from LITA 2005
- [http://www.sla.org/pdfs/sla2007/hillfederatedsearch.pdf Federated Search at the Intel Library: From Requirements to Implementation