Before you do anything else, install a spam blocking solution. This seems to be the achillies heel of every Wiki I've been involved in.
For example: SpamBlacklist Extension http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SpamBlacklist_extension
In my opinion, your first page needs some explanation on how to find articles. The "initial entries" link buried in the middle of a sentence in the middle of a paragraph is not noticable enough to be helpful.
- Chris Rippel
- I would recommend putting a link to the root directory and an "all pages" link in the navigation sidebar. The user will then have immediate access to a Table of Contents.
- - Chris Rios
- The "Browse categories" link leads to the root page, and I added a link from there to the index. This includes redirects so it's a bit more messy than the searchbox. --John Hubbard 09:40, 28 July 2006 (PDT)
- Still impossible to find things. I mean, ask yourself, if someone didn't know the site, how could they possibly find the list of Library Blogs? The "Browse categories" page isn't particularly helpful. --Leo Klein 14:40, 20 February 2007 (PDT)
- There's always the search box though -- typing in "Blogs" gets you there. --John Hubbard 15:41, 20 February 2007 (PST)
What free web based wikis are around the web that do not need be installed on the computer at your end, that have minimal or no advertisements?...
b. web based
c. no ads
- All WikiMedia installs by default fit this definition, although they may be customized to include advertisements or require authentication to access. LIS Wikis lists some library-related Wikis. --John Hubbard 07:45, 9 Aug 2005 (PDT)
I am familliar with mediawiki and find it the best wiki out there. That said, as wikis become more common, I find a need to be able to easily identify the ownership of a wiki, as well as any affiliations that might exist between the wiki or the ownership and other organizations. Thanks,
- In some cases you may need to do a whois lookup, however most Wikis have an about page with this informaiton.--John Hubbard 11:32, 16 October 2006 (PDT)
Not sure if this wiki is dead now since it looks like the last edit to this page was in 2007, but I though it would be a useful place for database vendor information.
- Not dead, so much as given over to those the library community, such as yourself, to contribute towards... so feel free to add... --John Hubbard 18:11, 7 October 2009 (PDT)
A Spammer Vandalized the Front Page
I decided to sign up for an account because I remembered this wiki from when I was in library school and noticed that some spammer vandalized it. Does anyone know how to change the title from "Michael Jordan Sneakers Some Fun Info About Zebra Print S" to a more appropriate title? I am willing to help update and cleanup the Wiki but that title does not seem to be easily editable.
- Ryan Nov. 20, 2012